UI/UX

Case Study: Restaurant App

This case study describes my process of designing the app from the idea of it to the final stage.

The Objective

The targeted audience is local people, not travelers.

The purpose of the initial screens are to help users discover how to order food from the app.

The business goal is to make this page more dynamic to boost users to open and use the app frequently.


The Challenge

I found that factors contributing to the popularity of online food ordering, this restaurant were lacking an online food ordering system. It led me to think of a convenient and more attractive app for users in order to meet their expectations more precisely while ordering food online.


The Task

Create UI/UX design of Mobile App for ordering food.

The Process

I’ve started the process by analyzing how their customers has used the site for placing orders. Further, to build empathy with users, I started off with looking at social networking sites that lets users post reviews and rate businesses.

This resulted in a preliminary set of requirements and creating User Personas. This helps me to get into the mindset of the users, thinking in terms of their contexts, needs and goals.

Persona Examples
User Flow Diagram
User Flow

Deciding what to eat for a meal is an everyday challenge. In order to help users choose what to order quick, it is important to give them clear directions until the end. I made a straight-forward user flow in order to keep that in mind while designing the mobile restaurant app.

Sketches
Wireframe & Prototype

With an idea of the user flow, I started to ideate by sketching on paper. This was followed by wireframing using Adobe XD. Usability testing was then conducted which resulted in adjustments to the wireframe before a more refined prototype was created.

User Testing

I asked a few friends and colleague of mine what their preferences and their priorities when it comes to ordering food in an app. And I showed them the prototype I’ve made and asked for their opinions. Plus, I asked them a list of questions while using the app.

Afterwards, I move forward with a few more tests with my digital prototype for further iterations. This project however has yet to be completed.

Outcome

Through this case study, I learned that the most important part about this is learning about users through their experience and figuring out what they want from using this type of app. And this is not a simple task as sometimes users do not know what they want and do not find it easy to verbalize what they want. And also the design is a process that is flexible and iterative.

Thank you for going thru this journey with me. All suggestions and recommendations are most welcomed!